Subject: SV: [egov] Groups - Taxonomy glossary 2004-06-14 uploaded

Maewyn and Martin

At this site you find definitions (http://www.ontopia.net/topicmaps/materials/tm-vs-thesauri.html) on subject-based classification (controlled vocabularies, taxonomies, thesauries, faceted classification, ontologies etc) and topic maps.

Bjarne Mollwitz Heltved
Informationsarkitekt, bibliotekar

IT Strategisk Kontor
IT- og Telestyrelsen

IT Strategic Center
National IT and Telecom Agency
Ministry for Science, Technology and Development

Postal address: Holsteinsgade 63, DK-2100 Copenhagen Ø
Visiting address: Bredgade 40, DK-1260 Copenhagen K

Telephone: + 45 3545 0000
Direct: + 45 3337 9210
E-mail: bh@itst.dk

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Martin Bryan [mailto:Martin.Bryan@csw.co.uk]
Sendt: 15. juni 2004 17:57
Til: Maewyn.Cumming@cabinet-office.gsi.gov.uk; egov@lists.oasis-open.org

Maewyn

> One thing, I'm not sure about is when you say   "Classification schemes should only contain 'See Also' type links, not direct hierarchical links". Are you sure about that- and is that an 'official definition?. It differs from the definition given in the draft BSI standard on thesauri.

It's standard in library classification schemes such as Dewey, where the numbers are key, but I'm not sure if its official in the sense that its defined in the ISO standards on classification. I need to research the rules here a bit, but I do not believe that clean classification schemes allow the same classification point to be reached by more than one route. Note that definitions from thesauri are different from those for classification schemes. Thesauri are necessarily polyhierarchical.

Martin Bryan