Subject: Records Management - proposed new project for the TC to sponsor

A European project we are engaged in (eTEN PEELS) will have as an early
output a strawman draft standard for records management metadata, that takes
into account the requirements of secure digital archiving. (I apologize that
this has taken so long to come into the light of day - it has taken a long
time to get this project up & running though the EC processes, & the
contract has just been signed.)

Our partner in this work is Avain Technologies Oy, and my colleague in this
task will be Usva Kuusiholma. Our starting point is the Finnish & UK
national standards (that have themselves been developed with some
collaboration), and we are gathering further input initially from national
record office contacts within the PEELS consortium. This is probably enough
for us to manage as input to an initial strawman (however anyone with a
burning need to send us something is welcome to do so!)

There has been an intention all along that this work would eventually result
in an XML based interoperability standard, probably an OASIS standard. Our
present intent is to publish the strawman to this TC as a first step, in the
expectation that the project would be improved by discussion here, then
recommended from this TC to a more suitable body for full development. As
part of the PEELS project, we will be implementing small scale
demonstrations of archiving signed records using this strawman (using
Avain's secure archive and CSW's e-records technology), from Q4 2004 through
Q1 2005.

We could aim to launch the full development of the standard at XML 2004.

Comments welcome - and I think we should have this on the agenda for 27/7 (I
am working with John to arganize participation of a group of us including
Usva for an hour or two by concall from Oxford UK). With a reasonable amount
of luck, the strawman should be ready for circulation shortly after that.

Regards,

Ann W.

CSW Group Ltd
4240 Nash Court
Oxford Business Park South
Oxford
OX4 2RU
Tel: +44/0 1865 337400  Fax: +44/0 1865 337433
Web: <http://www.csw.co.uk>

Legal Disclaimer: <http://www.csw.co.uk/disclaimer.htm>
CSW's XML Summer School 25th-30th July 2004 Wadham College, Oxford Further
information: http://www.xmlsummerschool.com