Subject: RE: [egov] Records Management - proposed new project for the TC to sponsor

Carl,

Thanks for the pointer to Open GIS & ISO 19115. I'm not sure how relevant it
is, but we know it's there. One of the problems I feel acutely in this field
is the number of different ISO & other standards (mostly large ones, too)
that have been developed over time for specific purposes that are now
converging in webspace, together with the growing number of standard-esque
attempts to solve the practical problems emerging in webspace itself...
combined with the urgent need for interoperability standards for
e-government that are really simple both to use and to understand.

Regarding the relationship of this work to Dublin Core and the UK e-GMS, I
think that it would be silly to invent anything new that did the job of
Dublin Core. However, it is very tempting (& as silly) to use DC for things
that it was not designed to do, just because it is there and the element
names sound useful. We will be doing our best to steer between these two
ugly monsters to a usable conclusion!

Regards,

Ann W.