Subject: Re: [egov] Representing polyhierarchical taxonomies in XML

Expanding upon Farrukh's email:

I concur that the ebXML RR is an ideal mechanism for use managing such
taxonomies.  Whether used in production or not, it can represent this.
 If each data object is an independent node in the taxonomy, the
associations mechanism can be used to declare that item "X" is a child
of "A" and also a child of "C", independent of the relationship between
"A" and "C". Like wise, one object in the registry can have multiple
classification nodes and multiple unilateral or bilateral (reciprocal)
associations with each other.  Since the associations are named by
users, you can easily customize this to represent concepts like "F" is
only a child of "G" when "G" is a child of "D", otherwise there is no
relationship.  Such conditional hierarchic containership is usually used
in the presence of a context mechanism. (I can put this in the email
since it is July 4th holiday and I have no worries about David piping in
with CAM ;-)

Perhaps this sounds a little much like Farrukh and I have succumbed to
the "everything looks like a nail when you have a hammer" syndrome but I
truly believe in this case, the ebXML regrep makes sense.

Duane

--
Senior Standards Strategist
Adobe Systems, Inc.