Subject: Re: [egov] Missing Securty: Update Working Draft for Workflow Standards

Joe,
Thanx for your quick response.
I'm indeed familiar with SAML and did actually contribute to
the POST profile although I'm only listed in the references.

However, if you have an enterprise PKI a la the Federal PKI
your only choice is to run all PKI-related activities from the
clients' own desktop computers because that is the only PKI
you got.   If the latter is not true, we are not talking about
the federal PKI anymore.  This client-centric world though
eliminates SAML, thin clients, information consolidation,
and essentially everything that we took for granted before
confronted with the federal PKI.  As I have mentioned,
northern Europe have selected an entirely different approach
which they though not even themselves have yet fully understood
the power of!

Anders R

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
To: "Anders Rundgren" <anders.rundgren@telia.com>; "Monica J. Martin" <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>
Cc: "OASIS eGov list" <egov@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 15:45

Anders, thanks for this document. I've glanced over it, and I believe
that it's highly possible that the issues raised in this document can be
satisfied not only by SAML (as mentioned earlier), but possibly by a
combination of OASIS Web Services Security (the now "official" full name
of WS-Security, aka "WSS") and W3C XKMS (XML Key Management
Specification), whose version 2.0[1] is currently a Candidate
Recommendation as of April 2004. That is, XKMS would be employed to
manage (distribute and register) the PKI certificates that are
referenced/placed within WSS headers.

I know that there was discussion within the XKMS committee sometime in
2003 regarding a white paper to this end, but as of late 2003 I was told
that there had been no movement on it past discussion. You may want to
present your document to the XKMS committee for their feedback.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xkms2/

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World