Subject: Re: [egov] Missing Securty: Update Working Draft for Workflow Standards

Joe,

>Thanks for the additional information. I'm looking at p.2 of your
>document now, and I believe that this can/should be handled through some
>type of contract between the two organizations, with a certain level of
>mutual trust specified. I see this as more of an operational issue.

I remain puzzled.  Do you mean that:
1. Purchasing systems do not need to be able to read purchase orders (Q2)?
2. Contracts can eliminate the laws of encryption?
Hopefully not.

>Please let me know if there are more specifics either within our outside
>your document that may factor in, that I have not taken into account.

You did not apply the described scheme that is the foundation of the
Federal PKI saying that message security is a client-level-issue using
employee encryption certificates published in directories.  If you
don't use this, most of the foundation and motivation is gone.

>We can also keep in mind that end-to-end security is much more than PKI,
>and in fact may not even involve PKI at all (as described in the WSS
>specifications). I know this is something you definitely know - I'm just
>choosing to point it out for purposes of the thread.

That is correct, but then we are again not talking about the Federal
PKI architecture which is the e-gov "gold standard" to date.

Anders R