Subject: RE: [egov] News: "IDA Releases European Interoperability Framework for Pan-European E-Government Services"

Joe, All:

I have to be careful which hat I’m wearing in commenting on this, so I’ll stick to my Individual OASIS Member profile for now.

Both John Borras’ team (at the UK eGovernment Unit) and my service in the European Parliament followed the evolution of this document since its inception. I’ll admit that I haven’t had a chance to do a full diff between the published version, and the last one presented to the project board back in February 2004 (the project was near dormant in the meantime).

You are absolutely right that it is core to our TC’s mission. Although John or Maewyn Cumming may respond separately, I think we shared some principle criticisms, notably:

- the framework is too voluntary: we had both argued for a mandatory or at least more strongly worded framework that administrations and solution suppliers would feel some obligation to conform to;

- there is no implementation or maintenance authority: the Commission has argued (fairly) that it does not directly have the right (“legal basis” in the jargon) to just “magic” some policy authority out of thin air. We had achieved some commitment to a separate part of the framework concerning governance issues, but this seems to have disappeared for the moment.

On the plus side, some initiatives are under consideration that aim to plug the gaps, and I’ll keep the list updated as they advance.

Regards,

Peter