Subject: Re: [egov] EPR and e-Folders

Ann,

I think we are in violent agreement!

Tor's English is much better than my Norwegian - but in any case
I believe that we following the path that you note out - and
I'd offer the following bullet points as an overview:

1) current eGov practices vary wildly from country to country,
    state to state, district to district.

2) Fostering common adoption and re-use mechanisms
    would hugely faciltiate the build-out of proven and
    reliable solutions.  Not to mention interoperability
    across systems.

3) Providing formal mechanisms in eFolder and naturally
    XML - allows implementers to follow a blueprint for
    success.

4) By creating eFolder solutions - these can then be
    registered as templates and can be searchable
    and discovered by implementers for re-use.

5) By establishing best-practices around the eFolders
    we can inform about how eGovernment practices
    align with technology synergistically.

 6) KISS - definately seeing this as founded on
     proven well known workflow methods - and this
     is where Tor is an authority and author and
     co-author of several books.

Over the past six months the EPRforum work has
identified the foundation blocks to achieve a first
base PoC system - basically its three parts -
an enhanced XDS server with identity management
and content handling services (we're calling this XDS V2),
then eFolders to manage representations of workflow
and XML artifacts inside that XDS V2 environment, and
then third - the UI metaphor - a simple set of workflow
tools as identified in the original EPR work and pilot.

Hopefully in 2005 we are able to jump start at least
one such PoC using the open source components
set we have targetted to build this with.

Thanks, DW