Subject: Re: [egov] National Health Technology Standards Corporation

Two answers in one letter to save list space :-)

There are two dimensions, one is information and the other is trust & identity.
If the NHTSC will be able to set the standard for "information" is hard to tell.

Regarding the trust & identity stuff, I believe (but cannot provide evidence) that
the consortium will fairly soon realize that there are TWO entities, in the
game: people and machines.  Machines can in fact represent an organization.
This is something the US Federal PKI people have not yet realized, which have
caused the US a 5-year (and counting) lag compared to many other countries.

That is, it is not enough that some standard provide an X.509 element
because that means nothing or at least creates a lot of guesswork as
there are currently four competing suggestions on how a machine should
identify itself when signing outbound orders, presciriptions etc.
- As an individual.  The German solution
- As a server.   The short-cut
- As as application.  IBM is promoting this.
- As an organization.  The Scandinavian way

The net result is poor interoperability.

My hope is that this consortium should not leave this question to app developers
just because it is "infected".

thanx,
Anders Rundgren