Subject: RE: [egov] Countermeasures for Epidemic of Congressional Ignorance?

Yes - Adobe was a participant in the CDC PoC ;-)

From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 2:58 PM
To: peter@justbrown.net
Cc: 'Rex Brooks'; Duane Nickull; huml@lists.oasis-open.org;
emergency@lists.oasis-open.org; egov@lists.oasis-open.org;
sia-pilot6@humanml.cim3; Colin.Wallis@ssc.govt.nz
Subject: Re: [egov] Countermeasures for Epidemic of Congressional
Ignorance?

Peter F Brown wrote:
>Interesting thread: just been talking in Vienna today on exactly this
sort
>of use case with Edwin Bruce, head of eGov projects in the New Zealand
>government. We both think that there are opportunities for
collaboration in
>such pilots: one only has to look at the recurrence of major seasonal
>flooding in Central Europe in the last few years or the ever present
>background threat of a major health pandemic, such as Avian flu...these
are
>all naturally cross-agency and cross-border phenomena and the ebXML
>federated registry model coupled with some semantic interoperability
>approach would indeed seem to fit the bill....

This scenario is very similar to one a bunch of us collaborated on at
XML 2003.

Slides are at:

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/oasis-demo-xml2003.sxi
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/oasis-demo-xml2003.ppt

The scenario was of Avian Flu Epidemic when it was big news in far east
:-)

It used ebXML Registry, ebXML Messaging, ebXML CPP/A, XForms, XACML etc.

If it were done today OASIS CAP would also be included and potentially
some other standards and technologies.
>Peter

Ignorance?

>Thanks foor the reply, Duane,
>
>The pilot project I'm working on now does some of this and is a
Semantic
>Interoperability Rachitecture Pilot as well as being SOA in a loosely
>coupled way, and we plan to use ebXML REgistry/Repository as well as
many
>other components. It's far from any kind of panacea, but i think it
will be
>a small step in the right direction.
>
>Regards,
>Rex
>
>At 12:20 PM -0700 9/19/05, Duane Nickull wrote:
>
>>Rec:
>>
>>Sadly, in a previous company we proposed an architecture to the
>>Canadian Government (prior to being acquired by Adobe) for a low costs

>>system that would have helped alleviate some of the problems from this

>>type of emergency.
>>
>>While dwelling on the past is important to learn lessons, I also think

>>it is important to look forward and take action.  The proposed system
>>was  registry based and would allow government and civilian entities
>>register the following via easy to use web forms:
>>
>>1. What types of events they wish to be notified about and when.
>>Example: If there is a landslide in the Rocky Mountains that blocks a
>>public highway, notify me since I am a civilian trucking company and I

>>need to know this to reroute my trucks or "Tell me about potential
>>hurricanes 48 hours in advance since I have to collect and evacuate
>>elderly people".
>>
>>2. A list of anything they have that they would make available during
>>an emergency. Example: I have a diesel generator and 200 gallons of
>>fuel in my backyard
>>
>>3. Details of any services they are prepared to offer during an
>>emergency (example: I have a chainsaw and can help cut through fallen
>>trees.
>>
>>4. Details of how they can be contacted in an emergency including
>>backup plans in case no infrastructure exists (example: If the phones
>>are out, I will be at the corner of Haight & Ashbury.
>>
>>5. Workflows and procedures for emergency workers to take.
>>
>>The idea is that everyone who has a stake in a situation would have a
>>chance to play a role.  Agencies from local governments to
>>international relief workers could all use it.
>>
>>The architecture is public record since it was submitted to the GoC as

>>an RFI proposal.  Anyone interested in seeing it or making use of it
>>please let me know and I can forward it to them.
>>
>>I think systems like this would only cost around CAD $100,000 to
>>implement and probably minimal $$ to keep operational.  A bargain
>>compared to the chaos that can result when things go wrong.
>>
>>The architecture used the OASIS CAP and the ebXML Registry/Repository
>>standards along with other web service standards.
>>
>>Anyone want to build it?
>>
>>Duane

Ignorance?