Subject: RE: [egov] FWD - GCN: OMB's Clay Johnson predicts e-government's future - 2008 and beyond

Anders:

Can you please clarify what you mean by "applications based on SOA are out-of-scope"? SOA is very much alive and thriving in the US federal space - in fact, a SOA CoP was recently formed, and there will be a 2-day conference next month on SOA[1].

[1] http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AnnouncementofSOACoP

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005
O: 202-508-6514
C: 202-251-0731

From: Anders Rundgren [mailto:anders.rundgren@telia.com]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 8:11 AM
To: eGov OASIS

A comment:

According to leading Federal PKI spokesmen, applications based on SOA (Service Oriented Architectures) are out-of-scope.  In my opinion it will be hard to achieve any major savings and GPEA adherence unless you have a working, secure SOA or WS scheme in place.   As it current looks, many wheels will be reinvented over and over, and each time with a new twist, with staggering costs and limited interoperability as a likely result.

The current Federal security architecture is focused on person-to-person e-mail using S/MIME, something which is not even remotely related to SOA.

So what is actually missing?  The notion of an application (server) as an initiator and originator of a message.  This is the core of SOA and WS. Naturally PIV-cards have no direct function in such a transaction, although there may be a PIV-initiated request in the beginning of a chain of WS requests.

I noted at a recent NIST event,  that the Higher Education PKI (HEPKI), after years of struggle with their version of the Federal security architecture, are beginning to question if it ever will deliver what was envisioned more than a decade ago, when it was initially defined.

The financial industry OTOH, have successfully deployed "SOA-like" schemes since ages back, including on a global scale, and as far as I can see they don't get hung by the idea that "machines" can do transactions; it is rather this they strive for.

Anders Rundgren