Subject: chair e-gov TC

Title: Bericht
Dear friends, TC members,

A year ago I accepted the election as chair of this committee. After the start I did a few proposals to change the modus operandi of the TC.
In general: organising  at least three face to face meetings a year, at least one TC conference call a month and a more clear working agenda.
Next to that I expected the non government members to contribute more to this committee.
At the time we got into a short discussion on the role of this TC.
The general outcomes:
Almost no  agreement on having face to face meetings : Too costly
No one was willing or able to pay for teleconference lines or communication costs
Industry members perceived this TC as a group of government officials who make clear what they want and industry is listening.

I was of course disappointed about this for a couple of reasons:
There is a lot of knowledge to share between industry and governments but as we say in my country :love has to come from both sides.
Just a few actors and the rest lurkers simply does not work. Working within OASIS means per say that industry plays a heavy role. If government representatives want to talk among each other there are more and perhaps better organisations to do this in.
Next to that if a TC takes itself serious it has to produce work. If a TC wants to be heard it means hard work and also making costs. A TC is more than a mailing group.

I promised the TC to organise a couple of informal regional sessions. One during the OASIS forum in London (3 members), One in Washington (3 members), One in  Canberra, Australia (2 members). All participants except one where government officials.
In this meetings members did want a new start but had not enough time and resources to pull this TC

My conclusion at this moment. Although there is interest, there is no support for a active working E-gov TC anymore.  And I am not the person able to make it work.
Currently I am in charge of a lot of projects in my own government and I have my activities in the Tax-xml TC as well. Although industry support in that TC is minimal as well, there is a firm basis and that TC is working.

So, I must admit (a little disappointed) that I could not make it happen, I have decided to leave this TC. I hope and expect that a later date E government interoperability issues will make a E-gov TC worthwhile. At that time I will be happy to make a contribution is any form.

Kind regards,

Harm Jan van Burg
Netherlands Ministry of Finance
Directorate-General of the Tax and Customs  Administration

office + 31  70  342  8522
mobile +31 6 23943759"