Subject: [egov] chair e-gov TC and next steps

Dear Harm Jan:

Firstly, thank you for the frank comments: nobody likes
hanging on to something that isn't working but at the same
time it takes some guts to take the step you have.

Secondly, thanks for trying to get it going again. I think
you have probably done all that could realistically be
expected in the circumstances and it really is up to
public sector agencies that are OASIS members to take the
lead here: if they don't, I don't think it would be
healthy for only the "industry" members to bail them out
of their responsibilities.

I think one of the major problems is simply that
eGovernment has become a victim of its own success: we are
all so involved in some many areas of work, the eGov TC on
its own no longer provides the foucs for any specific
piece of work.

I wonder whether the next steps are:
- to officially wind up the TC;
- to propose to OASIS the activation of an eGovernment
Forum (Wiki based maybe?) that could provide a lightweigth
information exchange and discussion forum without the
formality of a TC and the TC process.

Jamie: any comments regarding formal procedure and
possibilities?

Best regards,

Peter

-------------
Peter F Brown
Chair, CEN eGovernment Focus Group
Founder, Pensive.eu
Co-Editor, OASIS SOA Reference Model
Lecturer at XML Summer School
---
Personal:
+43 676 610 0250
http://public.xdi.org/=Peter.Brown
www.XMLbyStealth.net
www.xmlsummerschool.com

==================================
Dear friends, TC members,

A year ago I accepted the election as chair of this
committee. After the start I did a few proposals to change
the modus operandi of the TC.
In general: organising  at least three face to face
meetings a year, at least one TC conference call a month
and a more clear working agenda.
Next to that I expected the non government members to
contribute more to this committee.
At the time we got into a short discussion on the role of
this TC.
The general outcomes:
Almost no  agreement on having face to face meetings : Too
costly No one was willing or able to pay for
teleconference lines or communication costs Industry
members perceived this TC as a group of government
officials who make clear what they want and industry is
listening.

I was of course disappointed about this for a couple of
reasons:
There is a lot of knowledge to share between industry and
governments but as we say in my country :love has to come
from both sides.
Just a few actors and the rest lurkers simply does not
work. Working within OASIS means per say that industry
plays a heavy role. If government representatives want to
talk among each other there are more and perhaps better
organisations to do this in.
Next to that if a TC takes itself serious it has to
produce work. If a TC wants to be heard it means hard work
and also making costs. A TC is more than a mailing group.

I promised the TC to organise a couple of informal
regional sessions. One during the OASIS forum in London (3
members), One in Washington (3 members), One in  Canberra,
Australia (2 members). All participants except one where
government officials.
In this meetings members did want a new start but had not
enough time and resources to pull this TC

My conclusion at this moment. Although there is interest,
there is no support for a active working E-gov TC anymore.
 And I am not the person able to make it work.
Currently I am in charge of a lot of projects in my own
government and I have my activities in the Tax-xml TC as
well. Although industry support in that TC is minimal as
well, there is a firm basis and that TC is working.

So, I must admit (a little disappointed) that I could not
make it happen, I have decided to leave this TC. I hope
and expect that a later date E government interoperability
issues will make a E-gov TC worthwhile. At that time I
will be happy to make a contribution is any form.

Kind regards,

Harm Jan van Burg
Netherlands Ministry of Finance
Directorate-General of the Tax and Customs  Administration

office + 31  70  342  8522
mobile +31 6 23943759