Subject: RE: FW: [egov] chair e-gov TC and next steps

I have to say I'm with David on this one.

I can't see what the downside is of trying - just one more time.

Maybe the more open/less formal format will work - maybe it won't.

But at least we will know we have given it our best shot under the circumstances.

If no-one is going to step up to the plate to lead a TC then this option leaves the door open to ramp up if there is a need and/or desire to.

Cheers

Colin

From: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
To: peter@pensive.eu
CC: egov@lists.oasis-open.org, 'Colin Wallis' <colin_wallis@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 05:45:22 -0700

Peter,

What I'm suggesting is the change the modus operandi so we CAN succeed - given the metrics of the community that we are.

Clearly the TC style operation is not attracting direct participation from our members.  Without the incentive of a specification to write, edit and test - what do you do?  Those energies that are directed on other projects that you mention - how can that result in positive outcomes on the eGov TC side?

I do see the big need to provide a collaborative environment where people can come with issues, ideas and topics for discussion across a diverse eGov community.  Share and learn.

I also see the need for OASIS to have a coordination point where collective knowledge resides on eGov related work.  I know John had that as the original vision - being able to share work that governments had developed - formalize it - and then publish that to the TC documents area.

If instead we have a focus of content and resources around a http://egov.xml.org site - then it becomes a joint initiative between OASIS and the TC.   The OASIS staff can post news items from OASIS TCs directly - and then from time-to-time we can suggest material that a government entity has developed using OASIS standards as a information point.  A third category could be articles and publications.

So the web site would have the three sections to it visually.  And then we have the discussion list to support the overall need for Q&A.

This is essentially a lighter weight TC model - concensus collaboration from OASIS members with a special interest in eGov.  But without the need to formally endorse work - instead just report and inform.   That still leaves us with the option at some future point - if there was enough interest around a specific topic - to create a SC of the TC - to develop deliverables to address that.

If I wanted to offer an example right now - I can point to the CIQ work on address and person - that TC is being supported by the NZ and AU gov staff indirectly - and deliverables adopted by many other govs'.  Right now they are discussing extensions to support geo-coordinates such as provided by GoogleEarth. This would be a perfect case to put on egov.xml.org - as a topic area - that could then point people to that specific TC for more detail.

DW