Subject: RE: [egov] Future of eGov TC

Jamie:
I would concur with your suggestion: formally speaking, would you propose to ballot the TC or simply have the BoD endorse the proposal?

In addition, it might be worth examining the feasibility of OASIS and/or sufficiently motivated OASIS members to look at a "communities of interest" type model for the future "eGov interest area" - As an example (and I'm sure other TC members have similar experiences), I follow with interest the (US-based but international) Ontolog Forum: although I'm not able to participate on a regular basis, they a community portal and wiki and regular dial-in and Skype-in conference calls with an invited speaker presenting some issue of interest and lively threads of discussion.

In Europe, a group of us are starting just such an idea but there is absolutely no reason to limit this geographically and - for a wiki at least - ensure that there are public as well as member-only areas for sharing stuff in and about the eGov space...

Regards,

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: James Bryce Clark [mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org]
Sent: 12 December 2006 18:24
To: Peter F Brown; egov@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org; carol.cosgrove-sacks@oasis-open.org; pim.vandereijk@oasis-open.org

   Thanks, Peter, for the pointer to that interesting work.
   We are aware of a few other governments doing similar information models, with an eye to sharing and distributed resources.  We will encourage them to cross-post links here.
   Of course, the portal model always is attractive to would-be portal owners ... but seems often to fail, perhaps because the control model is less attractive to others in a multi-stakeholder system.  As in commerce, so in government.
   Personally, I also very much like your organic model of standards
projects:  work being fueled and legitimated by use cases rather than 'synthetic' tasks. Peter, this e-Gov group appears to be a useful nexus for information sharing, and has persistent interest.
However, it does not seem well served by the short-term, project-management orientation of TC rules.  Our best advice is that e-Gov should be reconstituted as an interest group "section", with its own mailing list and elective membership, but in a status that need not carry additional costs, licensing obligations or deliverable-driven mandates.  As you say, a "Technical Committee"
always can be formed for IPR reasons if a specific work project organically requires it.  But it seems to me that what we have here is more of a virtuous conversation, and we should treat it accordingly.
    I first mentioned this a few weeks ago and received a few, but generally positive, responses.  If there is no objection, I suggest that we proceed.  Other reactions?  Kind regards  Jamie

~ James Bryce Clark
~ Director of Standards Development, OASIS ~ jamie.clark@oasis-open.org