Subject: Re: [ekmi] Groups - SKSML DRAFT version 3 (SKSML-DRAFT-3.0.zip) uploaded

Folks,

You probably saw this a little while ago.

The two primary differences between V2 and V3 are:

1) The inclusion of an attribute called "KeyClass" to define
    classes of symmetric keys;
2) The ability of a client application to request more than one
    symmetric key within a single request, and to receive more
    than one symmetric key within a single response.

These features are very useful in applications like Electronic
Health Records, where an application has a need to have many
groups of users view different parts of the same record while
maintaining the security of the forbidden parts from unauthorized
viewers.

By having the client application request multiple keys of
different classes, the application can encrypt different parts
of the record with different keys and make it possible to show
one group a section of the document while maintaining the privacy
of the other parts of the same document.  (I intend to write a
white-paper describing this in more detail sometime over the
next few weeks; I'll share it with the TC when it is ready).

I'm sure there are similar business use-cases in the financial
and government sectors, so I believe this is an important addition
to the protocol to make the client-server messaging more efficient.

I plan to submit this version to the voting members of the TC for
a vote by the end of next week.  This will elevate the protocol to
a Committee DRAFT and go out to the general public for comment for
60 days.  After that, if there are no modifications, it will be
submitted to all OASIS for a standards vote.

If there are any comments on V3, please get them to me as soon as
possible.

Thank you.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.