Subject: Re: Microsoft COFEE, - Alternatively a True Brute Force Attack onRFID

Funny you should be talking about this just as EFF references an
article on BoingBoing where the "brute force attack" of choice
against RFID is a hammer. ;->

As to the Microsoft COFEE brute forcing passwords using tools on
a USB key, I'd guess there is a lot of FUD involved. I don't
believe one could shoehorn a Rainbow Table of a reasonable size
into any current USB key, so one would be reduced to either
LANMAN attacks or wiping the SAM file of the computer itself
running ISOLinux. This would destroy the validity of the evidence
for courtroom evidence purposes as not being able to prove that
the data was not tampered with.

A true brute force attack against 10 characters and a 66 (U/L
alpha and numeric plus 4 non-alphanumeric) or so key space at
15X10^6 keys/second - average decent dual core rate - would take
about a year assuming that you had a terabyte of storage on a
portable USB drive with a pre-computed table that might
conceivably take as little as 3+ years to pre-compute at 15x10^9
keys/second. Add one more character to the password length or
increase the key space and pre-computing the Rainbow Table is a
couple of hundred years or more.

So then what are you left with? You can map the files without the
password if the disk is not encrypted and get a lot of
information that way, but forget this if the drive(s) or the
files are encrypted.

FCCU Linux has almost all the tools one needs and it will fit and
run from a USB key, so who needs Microsoft?

The takeaway is encrypt the drive/files and use a password of at
least 12 characters and a key space of U/L alpha, numeric and the
common other keys and your computer is secure enough for the
moment. Tomorrow? Who knows.

Allen

BTW, Thanks to "Rainbow Chain Hash Cracking Calculator" by Tom
Sullivan for the figures on key strength. If you can't find a
copy of this, I'll send you one.