Subject: RE: [ekmi] Re: [P1619-3] OASIS EKMI Article in InformationWeek

Arshad,

I have not seen the IEEE 1619.3 specification and so I cannot comment on
how it would compare to EKMI.  You seem to imply that it is limited and
not a standard that could be elevated above the storage device
architecture to a more generic architecture (does the EKMI have access
to the 1619.3 specification or other documentation on the mission and
direction of this WG?).

It would seem to me that ultimately one standard could be applied and
service the enterprise at whatever level any particular software or
hardware vendor chooses, be that at the application level or down at the
device level.  In terms of creating an industry standard for symmetric
key management I feel we should not be bias towards any one vision of
where the cryptographic engine would architecturally reside, and is
there a reason would we assume that the EKMI protocol could not be
implemented at the hardware level or the 1619.3 protocol at the
application level?

Ultimately, it is my opinion that the industry will standardize on a
single protocol, and the candidates would seem to be either the EKMI or
the 1619.3 (or some extension to one or the other).  Again, having not
seen anything specific on the 1619.3 specification it was my hope that
EKMI would ultimately envelope both the PKI and 1619.3 protocols into a
single architectural standard for truly end-to-end enterprise key
management.

Also I believe you are missing one of the key market factors that has
been driving the industry towards providing cryptographic solutions, and
that is the news press's recent focus on identity theft and on how
businesses and governments are apt to loose very private and
confidential information.  Certainly these losses can occur in a variety
of ways, but the most publicized losses have been either in lost or
stolen backup tapes, lost or stolen lap tops or hackers accessing
e-commerce information through web sites or other public access points.

All of these issues can be addressed by encrypting at either the
application or the hardware level, but it would seem to me that the
issue of hacker attacks is very problematic because at some point in any
e-commerce application the data has to be in the clear and if it is in
the clear in real time then there will always be a possible exposure
that cryptography can not address by itself.

The other issues of lost tapes and other storage devices such as lap
tops can be very securely addressed with cryptography, especially in the
area of lost tapes but also with the loss of other storage devices that
use tamper sensitive technologies to zero key information if necessary.
Here again, cryptography could be done at any level from the application
to the device but as you and I discussed most storage devices today
store data in compressed format to save space and cipher text does not
compress very well. This is an argument for encrypting at the device
level rather than the application level.  Then there are also the issue
of the impact cryptography has on a server's valuable processor cycles.

The bottom line is I would not count on winning a standards war based
upon the argument that encryption at the storage device level is a
flawed and short lived vision.  Rather than fighting to win that battle,
I would rather us be fighting to marry our visions and our efforts over
the next few years to merge EKMI, PKI and 1619.3 if at all possible.
The DNS-like aspects of the EKMI vision are very attractive and could
enhance 1619.3, and there may be aspects of 1619.3 that could benefit
the EKMI.

Tim Bruce
Principal Software Architect, Development
5465 Legacy Drive
Plano, Tx.  75024
tel:  214-473-1917