Subject: Fw: Components for EML OSI solution

Team,

Just received the attached PDF from the OVC group - they have
this piece of software developed that could be useful.

On the ballot scanning front - off-the-shelf scanners have
utility software that comes with them - you just need to
make sure the format of the printed ballot layout is
scanning friendly.

I almost prefer to use the built-in scanning software -
since it is generic - and the scripting control language
it uses can be inspected easily.

Also this opens up the ability to use a wide variety
of scanners from various vendors.

However - I'm not sure how many of them have the
ability to produce TEXT or XML output - that can
be formatted in EML XML to report the result
details up to the main counting and reconcilation
software?

Probably the UI details from OVC would work there -
with witnesses to upload of scanning results - from
the polling location (effectively xverting the scanner
results to OASIS EML and then burning to CD
and transmitting).  Minus the barcoding though -
we cannot assume that on the ballots - and actually
would not want that anyway because of privacy
concerns.

This way - we would have a nice facility that was
able to integrate with a wide range of existing
optical scanners out there in election land....

Thoughts?

DW

OVC-Ballot-Reconciliation-Procedure-Guide.pdf