Subject: RE: [election-services] Fw: VIP/EML =?UTF-8?Q?CONVERGENCE=3F?=

Richard,

OK - thanks for reminding me one of the core values here for VIP - pointing people at the right polling place!

So -thinking about this - its not a pollbook type of function - its a public information one.

What EML is setup to carry is the ballots, candidates and polling place information.

So this is an additional function associated with polling place - which relates to address boundaries.

And then now we're seeing another - which is early balloting and those mechanisms.  I'd add to that absentee ballots.

So there's potentially two new types of EML supplemental transactions.  For the address boundaries I'd add geospatial and support for KML.  Fortunately this has already been done for us using CIQ!!!

The new OASIS EDXL HAVE schema is doing exactly this for hospitals and emergency management.  In that case its "how do I get to the right hospital?".  Substitute polling station for hospital and we can borrow all that part of their XML!

Then for the "means to vote" - I don;t think we have anything specific right now.  However in both instances - we can re-use the eml-common lexicon of xml parts - to assemble these pieces from is my sense - and hence tie them neatly into the "EML family".

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [election-services] Fw: VIP/EML CONVERGENCE?
From: Richard J Cardone <richcar@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, July 25, 2008 2:30 pm
To: "EML TC" <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

Peter and John,

There is the case where polling places can change over time in an election.  For example, voters may be directed to centralized polling places during early voting.  At some point, early voting ends and election day--the final day of voting--arrives.  On election day, voters may be directed to their neighborhood polling places, which are different than the centralized polling places.

Rich