Subject: Re: [election-services] EML and voting in Portugal - thesis

For your information I've now added a note about this on our Wiki site  - see http://wiki.oasis-open.org/election

M. +44 (0)7976 157745
Skype: gov3john

From: Bernard Van Acker <bernard_vanacker@be.ibm.com>
To: John Borras <johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: EML TC <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, 12 March, 2009 20:16:10

John,

Here are my notes on the Portuguese paper:
  • Gives a fairly standard - and in my view positive - overview of electronic voting and the issues related to it.
  • Describes briefly the DRE, with special attention to the Brasilian case.
  • Mentions the Estonia and the Geneva projects (note: does not mention the pilots that had taken place in Portugal).
  • Gives an overview of the electoral process in Portugal.
  • Gives an overview of EML in chapter 4.2, in positive terms (quote: "good for the legitimacy and flexibility of electronic voting systems").
  • Describes a scenario of remote electronic voting, compatible with the Portuguese reality, and implementing EML. The database on figure 26 for example, is derived from EML. It also implements schemas 410, 440 , 520.
  • Finally, it was tested on ... 3 (three) test voters (admitting that "this sample is not representative of the complete Portuguese electorate").

Regards,

Bernard

Bernard Van Acker

IT Architect, CISSP
IBM Global Business Services
tel ++32 2 225 2939 mobile ++32 478 56 11 80
e-mail: Bernard_Vanacker@be.ibm.com