Subject: RE: [election-services-comment] PUBLIC REVIEW COMMENTS DISPOSITION

Guys here’s how I see the way forward:

1.       v6.0  - get v6 approved as Committee Spec and then when appropriate go for OASIS Standard approval.

2.       IEEE/P1622 – liaise with/support their ongoing efforts

3.       Audit Req’ts – analyze/build a full audit spec as v7.  Start this as soon as Neal joins the TC.

4.       Implementation Guidance – produce a range of aids to assist first-time developers.  These should definitely not be included as part the Spec, they would be what it says just “guidance”.

I think much of this can go on in parallel and certainly it doesn’t all have to be sequential.  But the order above shows my opinion of priorities.  I’ll be kicking off the Committee Spec stage ballot next week and once that is out of the way then we can turn our attention to the other aspects and sketch out who is going to do what.  We will probably need a TC call after the vacation period to get this all together.

John

From: David RR Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: 29 July 2010 22:29
To: Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Cc: John Borras; EML TC

Joe,

Citing Google IMHO here is not very illustrative - they appear to have caught the Microsoft disease of "its a standard because we're using it".

I recall that we had to engage them - rather than them making any attempt to work with us - despite them being in OASIS!

But I take the point that generally with any new development - there's a choice - go ahead and roll something customer specific - or reach out for open standards to leverage.

The more quick start resources we can provide people - clearly the better - and of course eating our own dog food - primer available:

I'm encouraged that we have more adopters more willing to share code and examples now - than any time previously.

Cheers, DW