Subject: Smart phone voting - New Scientist

In the news - from ACM today - please don't blame me!

I know I said this was inevitable back last year - so what do you want me to do about it?

I would NEVER put "Angry Birds" on my phone - let alone play something with a tacky name like that!

Er - and Avi - what about a voting app that shuts down every other running app on your phone apart from itself?!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128316.000-electronic-elections-one-app-one-vote.html

DW

Electronic Elections: One App, One Vote
New Scientist (09/28/11) Joel Shurkin

Rice University researchers led by Bryan Campbell have designed an iPhone app that will allow voters to cast their ballots with their smartphones. In testing, it usually took participants 90 seconds longer to cast their vote on the smartphone system. The trial involved 55 people ranging from 18 to 69 years old, with and without smartphone experience. Campbell says participants who were familiar with smartphones voted with a fewer number of mistakes, compared to selecting candidates on conventional voting systems. Adjustments could be made to the app to reduce the time it takes to vote with the smartphone system, according to the researchers. The use of smartphones to cast ballots could amplify the lingering security concerns about e-voting systems, but the team is aware of such issues and expects to address them in the future. "Some form of Internet voting seems inevitable and it follows that smartphones and other Internet-capable mobile technologies will play a role," Campbell says.