emergency-gis message

Subject: Re: [emergency-gis] Apparently No Meeting Today

Thanks Doug,

It's certainly fine with me to add this "Point of Interest" (POI) topic
to the agenda, but its really up to Carl, as the chair.

I'm cc'ing the GIS SC list. Unless I'm misunderstanding, this makes any
potential EDXL-POI idempotent wrt location, which just means that it
stays put  in the same location whether there's one or any exponential
number of units that make up the POI, e.g. any of the list of things you
mention. That can cause problems. Not necessarily insoluble.

This also may very well may cause an insoluble wicked problem, which
means it is something we can't solve because it involves "incomplete,
contradictory, and changing requirements that are often difficult to
recognize." (taken from Wikipedia). For instance, consider a group as a
POI, such as a rescue team, which has been cited as a resource or an
asset in past conversations and examples. Let's say that it consists of
both a stationary central command post and a set of moving individuals.
At any given time the center of the whole group changes as individuals
move, so if we use the stationary point as the center, it will have a
indeterminate radius, and it becomes difficult to give a status report
for the area covered during the course of a search and rescue operation
for a given time interval. Not sure how to restructure this one to make
it solvable, but I bet there is a solution.

Anyway, there's plenty to discuss. Sometimes IT doesn't actually help.
Folks have been doing Search and Rescue without having minute by minute
status reports for a long time. How to use IT appropriately is another
topic altogether.

Cheers,
Rex