Subject: Groups - DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-12-15-2011.doc uploaded

Submitter's message
Please review these minutes from the December 15th, 2011 meeting of the Reference Information Model subcommittee for approval at our next meeting, subject to any specified changes. Thanks.
-- Jeff Waters
Document Name: DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-12-15-2011.doc

Description
At December 15, 2011 meeting of the Reference Information Model
subcommittee, the members discussed the following topics:

1. TOPIC: What is the status of our Reference Information Model and how do
we handle enumerated value lists? (Answer: Rex has developed an initial
framework for our Reference Information Model. The Enterprise Architect
representation and the Web Ontology Language representation are available
in the RIM Drafts folder. There is a pattern called ?value partitions? that
can be considered for a best practice for representing enumerated lists of
values. See http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-swbp-specified-values-20040803/ )

2. TOPIC: Should the Reference Information Model be used for guidance and
organization of concepts or should it also support directly the creation of
instance documents? (Answer: Jeff mentioned the use of reference ontologies
for the purpose of determining consistency and to support reasoning, but
not necessarily to create instance documents. If instance documents are
created, how similar in their XML appearance should they be to the specific
specification output. The answers to these questions depend upon our
intended use for the RIM. )