Subject: Groups - DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-01-12-2012.doc uploaded

Submitter's message
Please review these minutes from the January 12th, 2012 meeting of the Emergency Management Reference Information Model subcommittee for approval at our next meeting, subject to any specified changes. Thanks.
-- Jeff Waters
Document Name: DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-01-12-2012.doc

Description
At the January 12th, 2012 meeting of the Reference Information Model
Subcommittee, the members discussed the following topics:

1. TOPIC: What were our major RIM accomplishments in 2011 and what
challenges remain? (Answer: The major RIM accomplishments included
developing the process for submitting common components and profiles and
facilitating the OASIS approval of three common components, the Common
Types, the CIQ Profile and the GML Simple Features Profile. A primary
challenge is the further development of the EDXL Information Model; however
Rex has made significant progress in developing both the architecture model
and the ontology of terms. )

2. TOPIC: Is a reference implementation of the EDXL Information Model
along with an Emergency Services pattern possible? (Answer: Yes. Mitre has
created an impressive dashboard capability and Rex is working an Emergency
Services pattern in NCOIC. These capabilities and patterns could be the
reference implementation that allows users and developers to get a
practical and useful representation of the benefits of standardized
emergency terms and services. )

3. TOPIC: What levels of modeling should our RIM work address? (Answer:
Regarding high level modeling versus implementation, the consensus is that
the the focus is establishing a formal foundation for a data model and
protocols for interaction between components. This serves the purposes of
consistency, organization, information, and guidance. This would include
taking existing specifications and re-analyzing them to convert into the
formal model and check consistency of the specification with the formal
model. As needed, we deliver common components. In the long run, we might
generate a skeleton of a specification for a new specification, perhaps
similar to the National Information Exchange Model (NIEM) subschema
generation tool. There is also the potential for translation of current XML
into more expressive formats to enable the benefits for those who need
them.)
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Jeff Waters
Group: EM Reference Information Model SC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2012-01-26 11:37:36