Subject: Re: [emergency] FYI: OGC Seeks Sponsors for Emergency Mapping Symbology Initiative

Hi Folks,

I still haven't read the announcement in its
entirety, but I sorta thought we were, in fact,
doing this, albeit in a de facto rather than
explicit fashion. OASIS has very strong views
about official liaison efforts, and until I have
had a chance to actually read through and think
about the announcement, about all I can say is
that we need the FGDC involved and we need to
make this all official if we want to participate
as an OASIS SC/TC. To be honest, I prefer the de
facto route until we see the mid October
Symbology work, and until after we gather in
Scott McAfee (however his name is spelled) into
our OASIS fold, if we do. I'm facing some similar
situations in HumanMarkup TC/SC work and in
WSRP-Markup SC work, so I know I want to NOT run
afoul of OASIS policy on IPR, which is always
going to be the main sticking point in official
liaisons.

Just so's y'know, I think the necessity for such
liaisons is a no-brainer, but I can see the
trains rolling toward one another from all
directions, and I make a point of avoiding train
wrecks.

Ciao,
Rex