Subject: Re: [emergency] Draft Reply To PPW Letter

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 10:47, Art Botterell wrote:
> Even by your own logic... having admitted that the TC has yet to
> address what you call the "how" issue, how can you possibly claim
> that the TC believes one approach is "more friendly" than another?
> (And what does "more friendly" mean, anyway?)  It seems like we're
> getting way ahead of ourselves here.

Ok, so maybe that is the optimist in me, but considering all the angst
this issue has caused, I can't imagine the TC would embark on anything
that wouldn't be more "friendly" than the discussions we have had at
this point.

> More fundamentally, why send this letter at all?  Especially to a
> large membership organization like PPW, where it can be expected to
> have the practical effect of a public statement?  We're under no
> obligation to reply to the PPW letter at any particular time, or
> ever.  And we're certainly not required to do so in a way that would
> preempt or prejudice the TC's deliberations.

I actually asked this very same question to them, and it is at their
request that I reply summarizing what we talked about and inviting them
to further participate.

> - Art
>
> PS - Just a detail... but if I remember correctly, the TC adopted the
> current Committee Specification (as it was called at the time) not at
> the 7/15 meeting but a month later on the 8/12 conference call.

You are correct - typo. Meant to say that we agreed at the 7/15 meeting
that the current spec, minus the minor edits we discussed at that
meeting, was what we were going to vote on to ratify. I will correct in
the letter.