Subject: Re: [emergency] EDXL Target Areas for device coded recipients

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 23:12 -0400, Art Botterell wrote:
> Following on my previous... Kon's specific example refers to groups
> of one or more devices.  That seems like it might be addressed either
> by explicit addressing using <recipientAddress> or a

What if the device receiving the data is not the intended recipient?

> keyword
> reference

This sounds a little half-baked. This is supposed to be a routing
mechanism, after all.

> rather than by using the <targetArea> structure.  After
> all, a device or set of devices only indirectly describes an area...
> a device might be moved without changing its identity.

Any device can be moved without changing its identity. This is a
universal problem, and one which is actually more easily solved by using
routing IDs instead of geographical data. Any change to a device
location translates to a modification at only the server-side, which
then re-associates the IDs with the new geographical area.

Maybe some clarification is needed:

- If I want to target EDXL distribution to specific devices that will
re-route content, what do I use?
- Is targetarea restricted to the incident target area only and not the
routing target area(s)?
- Does recipient define the viewer of the content, or a device that may
not be the viewer of the content (Hopefully not both).

Cheers
Kon