Subject: Re: [emergency] RE: Sample email to interestedpartiesWRTgeoenhancements to CAP

On 28 Nov 2007, at 13:16, Art Botterell wrote:

> No, Renato... We chose to define a simple and consistent standard
> that would be interoperable worldwide.  And having chosen that
> strategy we selected the single most widely used CRS for use in that
> standard.  In so doing we acted to maximize compatibility and
> competitiveness in a global marketplace without excluding anybody.

I think Ron and Alessandro have shown (in their subsequent emails) how
we can improve CAP to support the needs of other CRS communities.

> Of course, an influence there was the use of WGS-84 in GPS..  Have
> large numbers of Australians started throwing away their GPS units
> in protest of that "imposition"?

No, they don't use CAP either ;-0

> As for OASIS allegedly being US-centric, for consistency wouldn't we
> have to  point that same finger at the ITU?  If WGS-84 is acceptable
> for X.1303, is it possible we're making a mountain out of a molehill
> here

No, that is a different story. We gave the ITU no choice. It was adopt
CAP 1.1 "as is" or nothing.

You may call it a "mountain/molehill" issue, but to engage the broader
international community requires compromises - on all parts.

Simple things, like the default language being "US English" to more
complex, like the SRS scheme, are all areas that CAP 2.0 will need to
address.

I look forward to the new process and outcomes.

Cheers...  Renato Iannella
NICTA