Subject: Re: [emergency] Fwd: CAP Implementation Workshop on Identifiers

Thanks Elysa,

I think this is very important because it appears
that we need to beef up our traction in Europe.
Unfortunately, CAP appears to be our best
ambassador in EU politics, but CAP is not much
help with real problem with setting the stage for
a unified approach to Emergency Management.

If the EU takes a completely different approach
than EDXL, as seems likely from what I've heard,
we're looking at decades of difficulties that
prevent or maintain obstacles and barriers to
interoperability, especially in large scale
relief efforts that need to be coordinated
between and amongst national and international
agency stakeholders. Even with a more robust
world economy, we won't be able to afford that.
It directly concerns both medical and emergency
communities.

Our immediate difficulty is travel and
representation in Europe that shows our
willingness and agreement on identifiers. Even
such a basic issue needs to be mutually supported
and mutual support needs to be encouraged for the
future, but we don't have ready funding for
travel.

I suspect that it is at small workshops like this
that the seeds for future cooperation are sown.
Also, I think we need to be careful with how we
ask for funding from the Member Section. While it
is not directly related to this, I think we need
to invest in upgrading our investment in
Enterprise Architect and purchase two or three
more floating licenses so we can use it as a way
to unify all the work we conduct, at least at the
conceptual and presentation level. So I have a
hard time asking for travel funding which is
money that simply disappears, however much it is
needed, versus tools which provide ongoing
utility and the benefits of continuity in
approach and in the way collateral support is
presented.