Subject: RE: [emergency] HAVE Conformance vs. Documentation vs. ReleasedSchemas

1.       Althogh NIEM compliance is “nice”…we are building International Standards here…and should not be NIEM-centric

2.       The any namespace may be good for extensibility…but it is not good for actually being able to process the XML data.  Using any creates yet another scenario where we need a developer pow-wow ahead of time.  This is not a model we should be striving to.  A system should be able to process (not just read) all fields of the standards that we produce. Use of any tags are good for signature type things and other implementation specific elements that have no bearing on the data in the message whatsoever…or they are good for doing debugging to determine what fields to add in the next version of the standard.  Looks like that is what Lee has done for us here.

3.       Over-use of any moves to the model of a computer as a telephone rather than as a processing engine….

-Don

Office: 315-838-2669

Cell: 315-383-1197

dmcgarry@mitre.org

From: David RR Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 12:04 PM
To: Lee Tincher
Cc: 'Lewis Leinenweber'; 'Dwarkanath,Sukumar - INTL'; McGarry, Donald P.; emergency@lists.oasis-open.org

Lee,

 <ParameterName> <Value> keyword concept

That is definitely not NIEM compliant nor is it good for long term interoperability.  Better is an extensible payload area with type of ##any - or even better using the NIEM extension mechanism to provide an extension schema for these new pieces.  Those can then be simply incorporated in the next standard schema.

HAVE EDXL is a half-way house at the moment - some parts are following NIEM - others not so much.

Obviously its a balancing act - but I would suggest where NIEM has good mechanisms for implementing these needs - that those techniques should be considered first.  This also allows just to provide guidelines to developers - that then can then use when they encounter these situations.

Thanks, DW