Subject: Re: minutes from ER teleconference 20010219

Lauren Wood scripsit:

> Paul Grosso wrote:
>
>> At 10:54 2001 02 19 -0800, Lauren Wood wrote:
>>
>>> The TREX namespace name will be a public ID URN. Action item on John to
>>> propose an FPI syntax to refer to TREX in the same way as DTDs can be
>>> referred to.
>>
>> I don't quite understand that.  John, what is it you think
>> you are actioned to do?
>
> What I meant is that current FPI syntax looks something like
> -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN
> and my comment was that we will need some syntax that says "this isn't a
> DTD, this is a TREX thingie". John seemed to think this would be up to TREX
> to define (which slightly surprised me; maybe John misunderstood what I
> meant).

What I thought I was supposed to do, and what I have done[1], was to request
the TREX TC to assign an FPI for the "TREX Pattern for TREX", which is
analogous to the XML Schema for XML Schemas.  There is no DTD for TREX
as such.

The FPI I have proposed is:

	-//OASIS::TC::TREX//TEXT TREX Pattern for TREX//EN//1.0

TEXT is the appropriate document class for TREX patterns, since they
are document instances.

That done, we can add the result to our "Informal list of well-known
public identifiers."  Of course, other people who create TREX
patterns are then free to assign FPIs to them.

This is quite separate from my proposal to use an "urn:publicid:" URI
as the TREX namespace name.

TREX does not define any way for a document to refer to a TREX pattern
that can be used to validate it, so there is no issue similar to
the xsi:schemaLocation issue.

I hope this clears everything up.

==

[1]http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/trex/200102/msg00032.html