Subject: Just the issues: encoding public ids as URNs

Issue 1.  How shall we encode SPACE?  As %20, or by using
one or more of the characters from Issue 9?  Note that
leading, trailing, and consecutive spaces are impossible
in normalized public ids.

Issue 2.  How shall we encode APOSTROPHE?  As %27, or by using
one or more of the characters from Issue 9?

Issue 3. How shall we encode QUESTION MARK? As %3F, or by using
one or more of the characters from Issue 9?

Issue 4. How shall we encode SOLIDUS? As %2F, or by using
one or more of the characters from Issue 9?

Issue 5. How shall we encode NUMBER SIGN? As %23, or by using
one or more of the characters from Issue 9?

Issue 6. How shall we encode PERCENT SIGN? As %25, or by using
one or more of the characters from Issue 9?

Issue 7.  How shall we encode the component separator in
FPIs?  The FPI encoding is generally "//" but in one case " ".
We could encode it in the same way as these character
sequences, or use a special encoding.

Issue 8.  How shall we encode the sub-component separator
in FPIs?  The FPI encoding is "::".  We could encode it
in the same way as these character sequences, or use a special
encoding.

Issue 9. The characters PLUS SIGN, COMMA, COLON, EQUALS SIGN,
SEMICOLON, COMMERCIAL AT, and DOLLAR SIGN are available for use
as part of the encoding machinery.  If we use any of them,
how shall we encode their appearances direcly in a public id?
(For example, if we use COLON to help deal with any of issues
1-8, we need an encoding for original COLONs appearing in
the public id.)

Norm, Paul, ideas?  (I have my own view, but I wanted to just
clarify exactly what's going on before presenting it.)

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com