Subject: [No subject]

The reference to HTML 4.01 is a useful one, in that it has explicit references on URL encoding, at section 'B.2 Special characters in URI attribute values'.  The first citation is to RFC 1738, part 2.2, which states;

'...the sequences of characters in different parts of a URL are used to represent sequences of octets used in Internet protocols...octets may be encoded by a character triplet consisting of the character "%" followed by the two hexadecimal digits...'

The second reference is to RFC 2141 [2], which states;

'RFC 1630 [2] and RFC 1737 [3] each presents additional considerations
   for URN encoding, '

which contains the example 'http://info.cern.ch/RDB/EMP?*%20where%20name%%3Ddobbins
'

So whatever information we get from HTML 4.01, it is that the whitespaces or a URL that is passed for a 'get' are escaped by '%20'.

That is the same information that we get from the XLink document.

This applies directly to our work, as the operation being performed when we process a URL/URI in a catalog is HTTP 'get' of the data/entities that are in the file located by the URL/URI.

Regards,
David Leland