Subject: Re: Of public and urn:publicid URIs

Thanks for that, Norm!
ndw@nwalsh.com wrote on 5/11/01 6:26:51 PM
/ dcpleland@ftnetwork.com was heard to say:
| Norm Walsh wrote:
|
| >Sorry, David, I don't understand what you mean...
|
| Here's a portion of what I received:
| ***************************
| | entityResolve(null, "urn:publicid:foo::bar")
| |
| | matches
| |
| |
| |
| | *and*
| |
| |
| |
| | but prefers the former.
| |
| *****************************

Right. Your mail reading tool is doing something odd. Here's a
patched version; just imagine that XML uses square brackets instead
of angle brackets :-)

| | Ok, let's explore what it means if we always interpret urn:publicid
| | URIs as public identifiers. Here's a first proposal:
| |
| | In an entity resolver:
| |
| | 1. If you're only passed a public identifier and it's a urn:publicid URI,
| |    convert it to a public id and try that. If resolution fails, look
| |    for a public entry that matches the URI form.
| |
| |      entityResolve(null, "urn:publicid:foo::bar")
| |
| |    matches
| |
| |      [public publicid="foo//bar" .../]
| |
| |    *and*
| |
| |      [public publicid="urn:publicid:foo::bar" .../]
| |
| |    but prefers the former.
| |
| | 2. If you're passed only a system identifier and it's a urn:publicid URI,
| |    convert it to a public id and proceed as if you'd only been given a
| |    public ID.
| |
| | 3. If you're passed both and the public identifier is a urn:publicid URI,
| |    convert it to a public id and proceed. If resolution fails, look for
| |    a public entry that matches the URI form.
| |
| | 4. If you're passed both and the *system* identifier is a urn:publicid URI,
| |    convert it to a public id.
| |
| |    a. If the two public identifiers are identical, proceed as if you'd
| |       only been given the public identifier.
| |
| |    b. If they're different, try each in turn. As per 1.
| |
| | In a URI resolver:
| |
| | 1. If it's a urn:publicid URI, convert it to a public id and try that.
| |    If resolution fails, look for a public entry that matches the URI form,
| |    then look for a URI entry that matches the URI form.
| |
| |      uriResolve("urn:publicid:foo::bar")
| |
| |    matches
| |
| |      [public publicid="foo//bar" .../]
| |
| |    *and*
| |
| |      [public publicid="urn:publicid:foo::bar" .../]
| |
| |    *and*
| |
| |      [uri name="urn:publicid:foo::bar" ../]
| |
| |    in that order.
| |
| | Comments?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | Life does not cease to be funny when people
XML Standards Engineer | die anymore than it ceases to be serious when