Subject: Nothing GNU Under the Sun

I was just looking at a folder of papers on my desk that included:

"New Elements of a Strategy for Knowlege Sharing and Reuse

o  Standardize a canonical form (knowledge interchange format)
o  Define common ontologies (vocabularies of representational
terms with agreed-upon definitions in human and machine
readable forms)
o  Build libraries of ontologies and task-specific reasoning tools
o  Separate knowledge from programs by using a declarative
knowledge representation language
o  Identify general classes and relations underlying application
specific facets
o  Generalize reasoning and problem solving methods"

Source?  Semantic web?  Nope.  Berners-Lee?  Nope.

The DARPA Knowledge Sharing Effort.  Thomas Gruber.
October 1991.   The membership list is a whos who of
AI today.

Some things take a long time to mature and when they
do, often other people's names are associated with
the success, but not the long long haul to get the
concepts ready for that success.

len