Subject: RE: HM.VR_AI: Goals and Overview : HumanML_VR_AI Facilitator

Title: RE: HM.VR_AI: Goals and Overview : HumanML_VR_AI Facil
Yes, yes. I'm tempted to say: "Of course." However, it is not that obvious. HumanMarkup has up to now been very vague, but this does need refining so that we understand that we need to have our langauge and data understandable and useable (translatable), and interoperable.

Thanks,
Rex

At 3:55 PM -0500 10/8/01, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
There could be cases where that is right and a numerical value is the easiest way to express the
needed attribute.  In other cases (see previous post), an interpretable value such as "wry" is needed
because the style of expressing the intent is unique to the object expressing it.   We see this
all the time in geographic information systems that use a small set of geometric types to build
up to features and these are then given local names.  The same problem exists in space/time
coordinates where computers may rely on UTC but the user relies on Central Standard Daylight
time plus 24 hour clock.    The configuration of the local receiving system to process the
message received using a recognized code and a mapping to the local system meaning or
rendering is fundamental.   The issue of course, is that the top level codes should mean
the same thing in any place encountered.   That is why we use the abstract types to
derive local types and a chain of descriptions for interpretation (a weak ontology is a thesaurus).

len
-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 3:46 PM
To: Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga; OASIS Comment

Oh For Joy, For Joy!

A legitimate disagreement, and I couldn't disagree more. We absolutely must have numerical values as datatypes for many of our elements, particularly the complexClass(es) which will need to deal with a spectrum of values and % or cm or in are all human readable anyway.

The simpleClass can be smile/not smile or expression/lack of expression, and that's one level. But smile to be useful for VR, for instance, has to be valued or weighted as to how much of a smile it is to be portrayed as if it is to translated to middleware thence to X3D or any other 3D file format.

BTW, it's about time we started having this kind of discussion.

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309
Fax: By Request