Subject: HMU:newRe: [humanmarkup-comment] Fw: Version Control -- IntermediateRec ords

Hi Len,

While we're polishing up our core documents during this pause, I've run into
your your newscase example:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup/documents/HMU.Newsprogram.t
xt
which I created as a document for (if you don't mind, as we're trying to get
document-centric right now).

Would this technically be considered a "use-case"?
Regardless, this could be an example we could build on.

There are a couple of others in the pipeline as well, I believe.

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

HMU.NEWSPROGRAM
last updated:  22 October 2001
(Use Case for News Application using HumanML)
Len Bullard
---------------------------------

Here is an example from phase 0 of a prototype of
a genre application.   It is only an example and was generated to discuss
how one might use HumanML types in an XML instance where that instance
would then be transformed via XSLT into a real time rendering language such
as X3D/VRML.  After the XML fragment, there is an outline of a newscast
template (known as a "rundown") a local newsanchor graciously made for
our work here.  Talking heads being a commonly asked for application,
we asked a pro to explain to us how they organize a newscast.  Then I
created the XML using SMIL concepts and bogus human attributes.  The
example was never completed.  Some of you who are looking at entertainment
applications may find this illuminating and those who are XSLT experts
could expand on this and show how XSLT can be applied to downtranslation
although the VRML side of this would be fairly complex.   The humanML
would require a library of XML components that allowed you to load
[say XSLT document()] from existing libraries of HumanML conformant
descriptions of such things as culture, gesture, etc.

We can discuss this example in more detail for those who are interested
if you want to noodle with it or comment on the approach.  Again, it is
incomplete.

**********************************

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<genre id="genre01" name="31 News" type="News" >

 <resourcePool>
   <character id="anchor01" name="Erin" role="anchor"
culture="southernUS(Texan)" />
   <character id="anchor02" name="Laura" role="anchor"
culture="southernUS(Alabama)" />
   <stage id="stage01" name="31 News" type="TVNewsSet" location="" />
   <prop id="prop01" name="newsText" type="paperDocument" />
   <costume id="costume01" name="redBlazer" type="professional(informal)" />
   <costume id="costume02" name="blueBlazer" type="professional(informal)"
/>
   <camera id="c01" name="" />
   <camera id="c02" name="" />
 </resourcePool>

 <rules>

    The big work is here.  Prolog/RDF/Schematron?  One may not need this.

 </rules>

<plotPoints>

A schedule based on types of events that MUST occur.  The actual
scene order may vary, and the number of intervening scenes may vary, but
these
points must occur in the order stated.  This is the essence of a genre.   We
may only be talking pre-condition/post-conditions here or one could use
document order instead of plot points.   In some systems for interactive
fiction, plot points are a way of defining events that mus happen for
a genre to be true to its defintion, but the actual events themselves
can be initiated by different kinds of other events.  Similar to a
role-playing
game with a game master, except the game master is an automated
system for tracking the occurrence of plot points and injecting events.

For the example, we use the typical talking heads news broadcast.

</plotPoints>

 <charList id="">
   <actor charRef="anchor01" costume="costume01" initMood="HumanML:alert"
locateMarker="grid01" initPosture="sitting" />
   <actor charRef="anchor02" costume="costume02" initMood="HumanML:alert"
locateMarker="grid02" initPosture="sitting" />
 </charList>

 <setupList>
   <setup id="" name="" worldMapRef="" charList="" cameraList="" />
   <setup id="" name="" worldMapRef="" charList="" cameraList="" />
 </setupList>

 <scene id="" name="" setup="" >
  <seq>
   <par>
     <!--  Moveto is based on named markers, not coordinate systems as
           the use of coordinate systems would limit the application to a
particular
           dimensionality of rendering, say 3D over 2D. WorldMaps are
provided to name
           location markers -->
     <moveto locateMarker="" speed="slow" force="" object="c01" />
     <seq>
       <text id="" charRef="anchor01" trope="literal" ></text>
       <gesture id="" charRef="" HumanML:trope="greeting" />
     </seq>
   </par>
   <par>
     <seq>
       <gesture id="" charRef="" trope="caution" ></gesture>
       <text id="" charRef=""  trope="inform" ></text>
     </seq>
   </par>
  </seq>
 </scene>

 <scene id="" name="" setup="" >
  <seq>
   <par>
     <seq>
       <text id="" charRef="" trope="literal" ></text>
       <gesture id="" charRef="" trope="greeting"  ></gesture>
     </seq>
   </par>
   <par>
     <seq>
       <gesture id="" charRef="" trope="caution" ></gesture>
       <text id="" charRef="" trope="inform" ></text>
     </seq>
   </par>
  </seq>
 </scene>

</genre>

>From Erin Dacy at WAAY TV 31.  A description of a newscast rundown.:

rundown - broadcast outline

-- order of the stories
-- how long they are
-- what they are (formats)

----  package (self contained story, anchors introduce and tag out
               or the reporter can do a live intro from the field: 1 minute
to 2 minutes)
----  voice over (anchor reading live under video)
----  voiceover/sound on tape
      (tossing to a soundbite of your expert on the
      subject, a witness or a person on the street)
----  reader (anchor on camera the whole time)

Standard structure
(content and order depends on newscast (5, 6 or 10))

5 pm order

Block 1

1. Open
2. Weather Right Away (weather overview)
3. Lead story
4. Various stories
5. Tease (upcoming stories, usually 2 sometimes 3 stories)
6. Commercial

Block 2

7.  Lighter stories (example "You Tell Us")
8.  Maybe one more lighter story or a tease of another story coming at six.
9.  Tease
10. Commercial

Block 3

11. Weather
12. Other light stories like money talks or health
13. Sports tease
14. Commercial

Block 4

15.  Sports
16.  Kicker story--something very light or funny
17.  Weather (summary)
18.  Close (Goodbye)

Same for 6 and 10pm just different orders, and different content.

For example at 6 we have the "big story" which is our cover story with
sidebars (similar spin offs of the same topic)

Weather is in the second block at 6.

At 10pm we have weather also in the second block, but one entire block of
"around the world" vo's or voiceovers--video only with live anchor reads
later in the show after weather.