Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Fw: Elements of Human Dignity and Decency?

I have another take...

In a sense, HumanML is technology independent, and how it is used is not
under our control.  However, in another sense, it will only make human
information more available, and more explicit--it can never make human
information less explicit.

An excellent Use Case for HumanML to be in the development of a system to
allow voluntary, free input of personal information by individuals, which
allows them to express their beliefs..if there's one human universality, its
that we all want to be heard...that is if we feel the information we share
will benefit ourselves and selected others, and not used against us.

That's not to say we don't need other types of systems as well--yeah we are
technology independent effort focusing on the specs itself--however, fully
transparent information about our internal states isn't something may not be
something people ultimately may cringe at...rather, it might be something
people would welcome.

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

<len>
The article points up some notions which we have been
considering.  That technology is blind and its use
must be considered given alternatives.  There is a famous
saying from Dr. Werhner Von Braun after the Apollo 1
fire: "We are not in the business of making shoes."
The dangers have to be evaluated in the right contexts.

Essentially, the role and authority have to be considered.
A doctor is enabled functions that are not enabled for the
typical inspector.   This serves the good of the person
so inspected.   The doctor can use technology and techniques
which the average person cannot use.

A Neighborhood Watch citizen can arrest a perp.  In fact, the
individual has to because the policeman does not observe
the crime and is called in for backup.  It is critical
that the individual be trained.  This fact is emphasized
in the formal relationship of the Neighborhood Watch
organization and the local law enforcement agency.  Of
concern in the formation of these agencies is multicultural
patrol areas and the problems of ascertaining a situation
and response.  This is an area in which HumanML enabled
systems can provide better results.  It will take a while
to get there, but that should be a goal.  Meanwhile, we
have to proceed with some caution and deliberation.
</len>