Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] HMU.newmedia: Emotion

Communicating Emotion: Social, Moral, and Cultural Processes
http://assets.cambridge.org/0521553156/sample/0521553156WSN01.pdf

There is a sample of one chapter.  I am reacting only to that.

Advocates a process model for emotions.  This is what we talked
about earlier.  A model as simple as IDEF0 could be used to organize
or describe a human emotional process model, however, for a real time
system, the scene graph model such as expressed in VRML or IDEF0 will be
more useful for actually creating a program because IDEF0 does not
account for sequencing/time.  Also, color is an inadequate metaphor
for emotion.  If a process, it is more like a musical note with a
duration, (attack, decay, sustain, release).

What you are providing  Ranjeeth, is a pairwise codelist.  This is useful
for creating lists of events or states that must be accounted for
but unless one has a process model, there is no useful way to organize this
in a real time model.  It is more a select list.   We really do
need a real time model and the most widely used on the web is VRML.
Scene graph concepts are better for this than XML.  Much better.

len

*************************************

Emotion As Process

1.  Object, causes, events 2. appraisal  3.  Physiological change  4.
Action tendancy/action/expression
5.  Regulation

My comments:

A basic IDEF0 model (inputs, controls, outputs, mechanism) can model this
initially.  Requires
additional layers for timing, sequencing.  Very complex for anything above a
single human
object.

Event -> (process under set of controls - internally regulated systems
(recursive processes)) -> output
(note:misses feedback loop)

Understand moods and emotions as internal processes that route to external
expressions including
physiological reactions.  Events are seldom the only cause of a response.
The output depends
on the internal processes that cascade outputs up the process nest.

Account for emotional transference:  directing output at target not
originally cause of stimulus.
Thus creating incoherent or phasing effects in the feedback (loss of
predictability).  Discuss effect
on movement toward away or circling goal, an incoherent path (loss of
focus).

Multiple conditions such as sensitivity to particular inputs affect results.
Some people are very
aware of social conditions (zeitgeist) and react as they think they are
expected to.  Some are
not aware of this.  Awareness as a summary of domains of focus is very
important.  Some inputs never
reach some processes.  Filters are created to accept or reject some stimuli
and internally, the
relationship to the sender determines the reaction based on the event type
(who do you love?
what have they done for you lately?)

Emotional effects ramp up and down.  They do not endure.  ADSR.  They are
more like a musical
note than a color.  If a color, they cycle (like a real mood ring).  They
also habituate
(don't always get the same response over time because the human habituates
to the stimulus).

Outputs:  set body states (posture, color, tone of conversation), set
actions (converse,
move (toward, away, circle), inaction)