Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] HMU.newmedia: Emotion

Given the under-resourced condition and the preliminary
status, I don't think it advisable to get into formal
testing.  What would be sensible at this time would be
for any person with a use case to state that and solicit
feedback from the group on how they might being to apply
the schema.

Right now, it won't support a process model
directly.  There are no sequencing concepts.  I had planned
to put one in but haven't done so yet.  What I had envisioned
was a simple adaptation of an IDEF0 or IDEF3 process model
in which a process is a recursive element that enables the
user to create a model of inputs (signals, symbols, signs)
and outputs with routing targets.   How such a model
would then be handled by a different system (say, VRML,
SVG, HTML etc) would be a matter of transformation.
The reason I bring up the real time model is because
it is well suited to dynamic state models and one can
forgo some of the kinds of heavy math suggested by
other models.   That may be overkill.  We don't need
to model real time systems; we need to be able to feed
them.  However, I think beyond simple classification,
our current schema draft will become inadequate
quickly.

It is certainly possible to build in weights; on the
other hand, that may be something only the downstream
system cares about.  That is why I asked about the
UofPenn remarks about intensities being inadequate.
In either case, for emotions, one has to always deal
with these as internal states or events that cause
changes in physiology and choices of actions.  One
can't send an emotion as a message externally.  One
of the papers cited this morning summarized:

(condensed) "emotions arise in unusual or pressing circumstances, where
there is a large demand put on the system's resources.
Only if the fixed-reaction proves not to work, or it can be predicted that
it will not work, or the
confidence that it will work is low, or the agent perceives that it has
little control; only
then does an emotion arise. Its purpose is to arouse the whole system
(Oatley & Johnson-Laird's non-propositional signals)
to deal with the problem. The fixed-action was the easy option, so always
tried first, and presumably consumes
few resources. But when the whole system is aroused, and all its attention
is claimed, then clearly the problem
is consuming far more...this also accounts for the general physiological
arousal"

A process model (a model of inputs, outputs, controls,
mechanisms) is not a dynamic model.  That is important
to understand.  It is almost a simple schematic.  Trying
to model a human object per se, requires a real time
modeling system and for that, systems such as scene graph
designs are better (routing typed events into and out of
objects that have script nodes, methods, etc).  These are
simulation modelers and might or might not contain a
visualization component, but underneath, have similar
components for event routing.

XML, ie, DOM, is not appropriate for that; XML
is appropriate for feeding that.  We have had a long and
arduous time getting that across in X3D and should not
repeat those mistakes here.  I'm wandering a bit too
but I don't want people to confuse HumanML as a mark up
for a real time model of a human.

len