Subject: RE: [huml-comment] PC-33 -Section 4.4.6-race

I've been pointing to context usage for terms.
The terms exist, are in wide use, and  have
issues with the situatedness of their use varying
by individual, group, culture and so on.

In a real sense, the categories of the primary should
frame such terms, or simpler, enable the user to
create a context of metainformation for the use of
the term.  Race is a good example of a term where
the original contexts (historical/temporal) are
changing and becoming less relevant to current
contexts.  Yet we cannot state categorically that
the current contexts are more right, only that they
are different.   We can say simply and supportably
that we don't need race because it adds no value
to the primary where the primary serves as a means
to create contextualizing metadata.

Removing race from the primary is supportable by
argument that as a category, it can be created in
a secondary by reference to physical descriptors
and other observables.   Now HumanML has a clear
use case.  Given a codelist in a secondary for a
term not inherited from the primary, the secondary
wrapper element or the codelist members could have
an attribute or element that references a metadata
document whose elements and attributes are derived
from HumanML and the contents of which create the
necessary framework for using that codelist.  HumanML
types are thus a means of contextualizing the sign.

What I am resisting is removing a term because it
offends an individual or group.   That is a path that
once taken, becomes irresistable to those who
would impose their own individual and potentially
narrow contexts.  Rationale is needed that is
reapplicable or we will become a political debating
list.  To drop it, we don't need to warn or otherwise
comment beyond it being a term that while in common
use in descriptors of individual humans and groups
in a database, does not have a universal application and
is derivable by use of contextual signs now available
in the primary.   It can make a good example of
a way to apply HumanML.  In short, a goal of HumanML
is ameliorate miscommunication.   Race is a term
that can cause miscommunication.  It is easy
to discover such candidates by observing that their
use provokes strong emotions.   Such terms can be
framed using HumanML-derived context metadata and
this is of great value because this metadata provides
information for making correct selections from, for
example, codelists.

len