Subject: [humanmarkup] Economics Confererence Example

Greetings Susan,

This is a gentle reminder about the request I sent you Dec. 20, 2001,
just before the holidays. In it I said that  I wanted to revisit the
example of the Economics Conference you cited in the Oct. 17
Universal Access workshop to which Ranjeeth spoke and I attended by
teleconference. In that example, you said that in the economics
conference you attended  much time was spent on translations that
could or should have been spent on the actual intended work of the
conference and its attendees.

This is a specific example of a potential applications area where
HumanML needs to ensure that it can be useful. So, in line with our
decision to solicit information on the requirements of the
application areas which we wish to serve, I am asking you to consider
penning a short description of this example which we could cite as a
use-case where HumanML could serve to improve the performance of such
work. A more detailed description might be useful for our actual
specification, but that is further along the road than we can focus
now.

If you could do this we would be very grateful, and if you could give
some thought to what requirements you see that we need to meet in
order to help build the applications to improve this kind of
performance, it would help us greatly in our forthcoming work. I
would like to make a similar request, without the specific use-case,
of course, of any other government agency or government-related
recording, reporting or information processing organizations for
which you can recommend a person to whom I can write.

I believe it is very important for our effort to be grounded by such
practical, pragmatic, reality-based examples for which we can provide
specific remedies. Work so grounded stands a much better chance for
being adopted, don't you think?

Also, in the time since I last wrote to you, I have joined the newly
formed OASIS Web Services for Interactive Applications Technical
Committee, (WSIA TC), specifically as a liaison to and with the
HumanMarkup TC. Since that TC is also gathering requirements and
using business scenarios as the first step in formally developing
those requirements, I think it is appropriate for this new TC to
consider Institutional scenarios as well as business scenarios
because Web Services will be employed by governmental, military and
educational organizations or entities as well as commercial ones.

In fact, I will be writing shortly to Susan Swearingen, of the DoD,
Air Force Communications Agency, who is also serving on the WSIA TC,
and it occurs to me that this would be an opportunity to combine
interests in a common example that can be used by all parties.

Thanks very much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Rex Brooks
OASIS Humanmarkup TC Vice Chair, Secretary, Webmaster