Subject: [humanmarkup] Base Schema - Proxemic

Hi Folks,

Here we go again. This one should be given some focused thought about
it in relation to several recently examined elements.

proxemic

This is a ComplexType with the abstract attribute. It does not
reference other elements, but I think we should consider changing
from: Not used by other elements; to used by other elements; IF we
decide to make a couple of other changes I am going to introduce.
This element belongs to the attribute group humlIdentifierAtts.

I also want to point out that this discussion and commentary
represents to some extent how our personal and collective thinking
can change over time as more information is taken into account. In
this case, we have had several discussions around the issues of
locators which directly bear on how this element may need to be used
by other elements. This is not the best of all possible worlds, but
it does seem to more accurately describe the one in which we live. A
little more than a year ago, I had proxemic grouped with the
etymologically related elements of kinesic, cosmetic, haptic, because
that made linguistic sense then in the absence of the research and
discussion we have had since.

First, let's look at the description/definition []=my additions:
Proxemic: Human Space/Time Relationships. Use of both time and space
as well as relative body positions given some organization of the
features of the space in which communication occurs. [This is
considered] In [terms of] physical distance or closeness maintained
between individuals, as affecting messsageTypes such as body heat
they give off, odors perceived in social situations, angles of vision
they maintain while talking [conversing]. [This includes] Notions of:
fixed feature space (unmovable boundaries, eg. divisions within an
office building)[;] semi-fixed feature space, such as furniture[;]
informal space including intimate distance (eg, American culture is
6-18 inches)[;]  personal distance (eg, American culture is 1.5-4
feet)[;] [and] social distance (eg, American culture is 4-12 feet)[.]
We may want to divide up proximity as affecting communications and
feature space into separate modules.

In light of the discussions we have had around locators, whereby I
think we are likely to create related elements of bodyLocation (site
within/on body), geo-temporalLocator (local coordinates relative to
recognized standards like City, State,  Country, Lattitude/Longitude,
GPS, and universal date/time standards, etc) and locator (site
within/on physical object), I think we will likely to settle on a
very basic definition for proxemic as relative distance of semiote
to: physical objects which are locally-defined and located objects in
the immediate physical environment (eg, limits of perceptional
distance or what a semiote can sense); other semiotes located in
physical environment; and, other semiotes currently engaged in
communication interaction (eg, online, snail mail, IM).

I think this is another case where the enumeration of distinctions or
types needs to be done in a Secondary Base Schema. That would include
personal, social and intimate distance perceptions.

I think we need to think about which elements should be changed so
that their mutually modifying use is likely, in this case locators
and proxemic will use each other, and proxemic will be used by
culture, kinesic and emotion. Prxoemic will also play a role in
another new element I think we should consider: perception, which I
think we need in the Primary Base Schema along with culture, emotion,
and proxemic because, as we get to the element signal, such things as
body heat and odor, mentined here, which depend to some extent on
proxemic, will need to be included.

Here is a double heads-up.

One--it is another hot day here, but maybe not as bad as recently.
However the chances are good I will have to shut down again this
afternoon, so if you don't see replies from me later, that will be
the reason, not that I am ignoring anyone.

Two, I have another message which, while related, does not properly
belong in this thread.

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309