Subject: [humanmarkup] PBS-Doc-culture

Title: PBS-Doc-culture
As with the community element, culture required little change despite the lengthy discussions, though these were somewhat less than community because we did not need to consider more basic semiotic terminology which forms a basis of the "shared" concept.

Please Note: There are numerous links to research which bears on this concept in the scholarly literature.
It will be important to review this in working on the Secondary Schema.

Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-culture

             From: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
             To: humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org, humanmarkup@lists.oasis-open.org
             Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 10:02:03 -0700

      Hi Everyone,

      I'm pushing my self to get this new element discussion going this
      week, rather than wait until I have put in the further thought it
      deserves, because it ties into the sequence of humanGroup, community
      and culture. And I want to make sure it stays closely associated in
      our memories rather than letting another weekend  separate it from
      the discussion of community.

      culture

      This is ComplexType with the attribute of abstract. I agree with that
      but I do think that it will reference community and humanGroup. That
      does not mean that I think it needs to have a formal derivation
      because it is so widely used to mean so many different aspects of
      social life that we cannot preclude uses to which we might not agree,
      or which do not adhere to our specific definitions. What I do think
      is that, once we have thoroughly chewed on it so that we know what we
      need it to mean for HumanML purposes, is to apply our huml: prefix to
      it in order to have its use in HumanML adhere to the definitions we
      eventually prescribe.

      That is a long way to say that we need to co-opt this term for our
      use in a way that clearly distinguishes it from more common usage,
      and allows us to use the more common definitions without diluting our
      use of the term as an element in our Base Schema. We may decide to do
      this with a number of terms, and we will have to be careful in
      formulating our overall specification so that such terms that have
      dual purpose are clearly understood to have specific meanings when
      prefixed with huml:

      This is, as it is with all our elements, prefigured by belonging to
      the attribute group humlIdentifierAtts.

      We may want to enlarge upon the description of this element as Human
      Culture Cultural characteristics. I think we should enlarge upon that
      description, however, before I get into that, I thought it better to
      discuss this much first.

      What I think is that we want to set the stage for cultural modules,
      moving up the ladder of abstraction from humanGroup to community to
      culture to...

      But that is for later.

      Have an interesting weekend.