Subject: [humanmarkup] PBS-Doc-emotion

Title: PBS-Doc-emotion
We didn't have much to say about emotion, probably because it is fairly well-understood, although it will have a much larger effect when the public is checking our work. No change was needed or made.

From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
      Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 10:58 AM
      To: humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org;
      humanmarkup@lists.oasis-open.org
      Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-emotion

      Hi Everyone,

      I'm moving on to another element not because I think we are done with
      culture, but because I don't have much else to say about it until I
      see what Sylvia and Len come up with, and because I don't expect to
      resolve it for the first draft until we revisit it in the run through
      of the first draft specification. I do, however, look forward with
      great anticipation to see what our resident semiotes think about it.
      Also it is a big topic and this one is not--at least not in itself.
      Thankfully.

      emotion

      This is a ComplexType with the attribute of abstract. It does not
      reference other elements. It belongs to the attribute group
      humldentifierAtts. It takes an attribute value of intensity.

      It's description is: A basic set of primitive human emotions.

      It is about as basic and atomistic an element as we have, and while
      we may have noodling to do with other elements, there is not much to
      say about this one. This does however beg the question of a Secondary
      Base Schema since a number of secondary schemata will need the
      emotion primitives, so I think we pretty much find ourselves
      requiring the Secondary Base Schema.

      There is a point here which I have not brought up yet, but that I
      think we need to deal with now. Our Base Schema have not been defined
      as having attributes separate from the datatypes enumerated in the
      global attribute definitions and the reason I have not said boo about
      it is that I happen to agree wholeheartedly with a design principle
      that says one should not use attributes if we can accomplish what is
      needed with elements alone. However, with emotion here, and with
      several other elements we will be getting to soon, we will need, I
      think, the Secondary Base Schema to handle such things as the
      enumeration of attributes which James began to fill in for culture
      yesterday. Keeping attributes as secondary base elements allows us to
      disassociate such primitives as anger and resentment as types of
      emotion per se. That way they can take their own intensities rather
      than modifying an overall emotional state and allow for better
      computational efficiency.

      I happen to be thinking in terms of how to get discrete numerical
      values for various primitives which an application author can then
      choose to implement in any way rather than specifying, for instance
      that resentment is always a modifier of anger.

      I decided to use a simple element like emotion to point this out
      because I don't think we have much to quibble about with its
      description/definition.

      Thoughts?