Subject: Report on "HumanML in Collaborations" Collaboration ExpeditionWorkshop #30 Presentation Results

Title: Report on "HumanML in Collaborations" Collaboration Expedi
Hi Everyone,
For both those of you who could not attend our presentation to the Collaboration Expedition Workshop #30 December 9, 2004 at NSF Stafford II in Arlington, VA and those who did, as well as those who put it together, I wanted to post a short report on the reception and results of the presentation.

Our presentation went well. All parts worked properly, and I would rate our reception 7.5-8 on a scale of 10.  I would guess-timate attendance at 30-40, which for a workshop in December between Thanksgiving and the Hannukah-Christmas-Kwanzaa-New Year's Holidays was fairly good. Judging from the kind and variety of questions, the audience was fairly well engaged, though toward the end there were a couple of attendees who were concentrating to such an extent that they had to close their eyes. ;^) All things considered, that wasn't nearly as dire as speakers sometime find it to be. It was a signal that I needed to wrap things up, and, though I was near to the end of the presentation, I left nothing out entirely.

We received unsolicited and uncued questions, laughter and applause at the points where intended, so I use that in-built metric to indicate that our preparation and presentation was indeed well-received. Considering we had sufficient material to have expanded this presentation to two one-hour sessions without stretching, with 60 slides including three animations, 23 image-based slides and a 27-page paper as well as the spoken delivery AND a live on-line web demonstration of the WSRP-JSR168 New York Academy of Medicine's Proof of Concept Portal and Portlets, this was an excellent team effort. If I wasn't me, I would say I could not have asked for more, but as those who know me will attest, THAT never, ever happens. However, this is about as close as it gets.

The upshot is that we have been asked if we would be willing to present some or all of this and/or updated versions again, either as soon as January 26, 2004 (somewhat unlikely-not impossible)

http://www.componenttechnology.org/Emerging/Jan262004Conference/

but certainly in the context of an OASIS-based demonstration of interoperability of web services March 23-25, 2004

http://fose.com/

at the FOSE (Federal Office Supply Exposition--now the major vendor-supplier trade show for the federal purchasing community) Conference.

I have suggested that all or part of the presentation made by Rich Thompson, chair of OASIS Web Services for Remote Portlets TC to XML 2003 in Philadelphia December 10, 2004, be included.

Additionally, I think it would be fitting to highlight further demonstrations of interoperability and inter-useability of the OASIS Security Standards:

Security Assertions Markup Language (SAML) and
Extensible Access Control Markup Language (XACML), and
Web Services Security (WSS)
        Web Services Security: SOAP Message Security,
        Web Services Security: Username Token Profile,
        Web Services Security: X.509 Token Profile

Both of these presentation venue opportunities are contingent upon more formal invitations, of course.

I specifically used this list of addressees for this message, and added Karl Best of OASIS so that the chairs of the OASIS WSRP TC, OASIS Emergency Management TC, as well as our contacts for the Collaboration Expedition Workshop (Susan Turmbull),

http://ua-exp.gov

Emerging Component Technology Activity (Brand Nieman),

http://www.componenttechnology.org/

and Components Registry Pilot http://www.eccnet.com/ET-Register/ (Owen Ambur)

http://xml.gov/draft/ETProcess/index.htm

http://xml.gov/

are all aware of these possible developments. Please forward this to appropriate parties, so we can gather and coordinate invitations, responses, and logistics in a somewhat orderly process.

Of particular interest for this overall context is the demonstration of the New York Academy of Medicine's Public Healthcare Preparedness Portal Proof-of-Concept, hosted by Oracle Corporation on its Portal Standards web pages as part of the OASIS Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP) TC's efforts to support adoption of the the OASIS WSRP 1.0 Specification Standard, using the OASIS Emergency Management TC's Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) Committee Draft Specification. As the centerpiece of this collaborative effort which shows multiple overlapping organizational interests, known as communities of interest and/or practice, it would be very helpful to improving the overall dramatic effect of such a presentation if we could bring this effort to a more complete point than it is now, at least for March, if not for January.

Regards,
Rex Brooks

P.S. (I know I left that kitchen sink around here someplace...)