Subject: Re: [id-cloud] Some answers to voting rights

Hi Anil,

  I'll just refine a bit :)

Mary

Mary P McRae
Director, Standards Development
Technical Committee Administrator
email: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
web: www.oasis-open.org
twitter: @fiberartisan  #oasisopen
phone: 1.603.232.9090

Standards are like parachutes: they work best when they're open.

On May 21, 2010, at 3:46 PM, Anil Saldhana wrote:

> Hi all,
>  there have been few queries on voting rights. So I will answer them here:
>
> How do I gain voting rights?
> -------------------------------------
1. If you sign up for  a new TC at least 7 days in advance of the first meeting AND attend the first meeting, you are considered a voting member at the start of the meeting.

2. If you sign up for a new TC at least 7 days in advance of the first meeting but DO NOT attend the first meeting, OR you join at any point thereafter, after attending two consecutive meetings.

> - When you attend the first ever TC meeting and you are on the roster listed as a member, then you get to become voting member.
> - When you attend two consecutive meetings, then you become voting member.
>

> How do I lose voting rights?
> --------------------------------------
> - When you miss two consecutive TC meetings, then you lose voting rights.
> - Chairs and secretaries also have to abide by this rule. Typically they hold on to the office even if they lose voting rights because they have to use the Oasis online system.
>

> Who does the status change from member to voting member and back?
> The secretaries who take the roll call and send out the meeting attendance take the status changes at every meeting in to consideration. They then change the status from "member" to "voting member" and vice-versa.  The chairs (in the absence of secretaries) sometime do this.
The status change officially happens at the end of the 2nd meeting. That means you are not allowed to vote (or conversely do not lose your right to vote) during the 2nd meeting.

> How do I regain voting rights?
> - Just attend two meetings in a row and you will regain status back.
> - Please do not be surprised if any of the chairs/secretaries lose voting status, it is temporary and they will be back.
>

> What does voting rights give me?
> Please read the official Oasis documentation (from Mary's original email).  Typically it helps the TC meetings achieve quorum, helps you vote on important stages of an deliverable from the TC and any ballots created by the TC.  In my view, it is very important to provide support to the TC with time and participation in discussions, than keep an eye on the voting status.

It's not that it 'helps'; it is how quorum is determined and determine who is eligible vote on any motions (whether in a meeting or an electronic ballot). Strictly speaking, only voting members may make/second motions as well.