Subject: RE: [kmip] Re: Groups - oasis - Ballot "Straw poll on whether toallow "mutating attributes" in KMIP V1.0." has closed

Hi Marcus, each of your examples seem to me like good reasons to allow the server to mutate some attributes.  My issue is that I think the use cases for mutation are limited, and should be specified explicitly in the spec, so conformant clients will know what values may change.

The goal to have clients be relatively simple is what led me to think that server mutation should be restricted.  If mutation is unlimited, then clients need to have logic to handle the mutation of every attribute.

The downside risk to restricting mutation is that a server implementer later discovers a missed use-case, and must return a failure rather than a mutation.  I see that as a good thing for interoperability, since clients written to the specification will not know how to handle the mutation anyways.

If the set of mutatable attributes is sufficiently small, I would be OK with not allowing clients to "opt out" of the server mutation (option 3 in the poll).  Then again, since only clients opting-out would be subject to the "Dr. Suess" situation, I don't see the harm in having this option.  Based on the straw poll results, it seems those who voted do prefer to have this option available.

I think the best way to proceed is to collect the mutation use cases mentioned so far to use as a starting point for the allowed subset.

Thanks

-Alan